Re: overflow of high address of memdesc (was: Re: grub/laden bugs

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: overflow of high address of memdesc (was: Re: grub/laden bugs
Date: 04 Sep 2003 15:50:54 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:

> So what should laden do? It can not store 0x100000000 as the high
> address in an L4 memory descriptor. If it would try, it would
> overflow and set the high address to 0. This is what kickstart seems
> to do, but it is clearly wrong, unless the L4 specification would
> say that "0" as high address means 0x100000000.

To me, it makes sense to let an end address of zero represent the end
of the addressable area. The only ambiguous case is the block with
"start = 0, end = 0", which could either mean the entire addressable
area, or an empty area.

If it's intended that 0 means the end of addressable memory, that
should be stated clearly in the L4 spec.

/Niels