js-shield

Question about levels tweaks

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Question about levels tweaks
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 17:21:16 +0200

Hello Giorgio,

I am investigating issue https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/89 and I
identified the problem at:

https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/blob/main/f/common/popup.js#_263

which is a refactored version of:

https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/c/028c7568255a70c72fd2cbbc761f52814e35ce08?branch=main
 (see the last change).

As the commit log ("Label the slider with the current level number.") does not explain why
"else *" was changed to "else if (parseInt ..." I can only speculate. But I guess the
reason might be that you wanted to disable the button for level 0. However, right now, the button appears for
levels 1-3 and does not appear for L0, Experimental and all user defined levels (unless the user modifies the
ID through advanced settings).

I do not remember any reason why the tweaks should work for built-in levels
only. Is there any?

If not, I think we should either go for allowing tweaks to any level including L0 (But
the UI would likely work strangely in that setup). Or, we should go for "else if
(level_id != 0) {...}".

Please, let me know if I miss anything.

Best wishes,

Libor