jami

Re: [Jami Android - 20221225-01]

From: Richard Troy
Subject: Re: [Jami Android - 20221225-01]
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 15:58:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bill,

I disagree about one point there - what's useful has been left in for context:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023, bill-auger wrote:

[...] there is no point in keeping them either - the time window of relevance for any chat message is very narrow - in all normal use-cases, chat needs no storage - all messages may live only "on-the-wire", perhaps cached, but only for re-tries of failed deliveries

if the message was important or has a longer time window of
relevance, then synchronous communication such as chat, is not
the right tool for the job - asynchronous communication with
permanent storage (such as email or web forum), are much more
appropriate

I do not wish to chide or otherwise make a negative remark, and only hope to open the lines of thinking on this:

I use chats as a written form of "phone conversation" to conduct business.

In particular, in addition to other possible advantages, it allows for handling language issues gracefully, such as when I cannot always understand someone's accent AND, _saving_ the conversation allows for instant documentation of any agreements, disagreements, etc.

These are tremendously powerful benefits to conducting business this way, benefits phone conversations simply do not have.

In my view, thinking there's no point of keeping records of chats, and to suggest doing so is not an appropriate act is an ill-considered or perhaps short-sighted perception of the utility and power of this means of communication.

I often save my chat streams, appreciate when there are handy features to do so (as I also do with video conferencing and the like), and consider such recordings to be among its most important uses, and perhaps its most important since it has the potential to improves people's lives by helping improve their business actions.

With kind regards,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist