jami

Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?

From: Anthony Léonard
Subject: Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:57:23 -0400

Hi,

> It does not clearly give a oprotocol spec.

Writing a protocol spec is a task still to be finished but is
definitely on the todo list. The protocol is not meant to be a
“walled garden” ;)

> If I'm following correctly, ring is opendht for discovery

Correct, it is also used to exchange messages when a SIP channel is not
established between two participants (when not in call). From a
security perspective, it is also used for public key sharing between
contacts so you can authenticate them before a call.

> something sip-like for bringing up a session with the
> peer once you find it.

Correct, it is SIP (using pjsip implementation) used in a peer-to-peer
manner (without the traditional SIP proxies/registrar infrastructure).

> probably some kind of STUN/TURN to deal with NAT

Yes, the ICE protocol is used which enables Ring to try different
methods to establish a connection, a direct link being preferred. TURN
servers (relays) are the last solution as it induces latencies so
others are tried before (such as hole-punching).

> and something RTP/ZRTP-ish to transport the bits.

RTP inside a DTLS channel with Perfect Forward Secrecy encryption and
peers authenticating each other by their public keys.

Best regards.

Anthony L.