jami

Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Ring] Future of platform-specific clients?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:13:02 -0300

One of the issues that I raised about the usage of JS is exactly the
correct licensing *and display/indication* of the freedoms of the
software to the end-user.

Fortunatelly, I became aware that some people in the project are
fighting the JavaScript trap --- assuming that the person who replied to
me was really representing the GNU Ring project ---, so now it's just a
matter of doing things right, instead of pulling hairs in order to
understand how to present things correctly to the end-user --- which I
often have to pull everytime I evaluate (or am asked to contribute to)
some "open source" project that delivers client-side JavaScript.

Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, Electron is commonly used to turn
client-side JavaScript into some sort of "application", but still
using the original scripts. It seems to be similar to what WebKit 2 (or
was it 3?) does.

Last but not less important: I might be wrong on the following: One of
the issues of using JavaScript might be the loss of integration with,
for example, vCard contact managers. But of course it's always better to
ask a real expert instead of an occasional user and contributor (this is
me). :)

Respectfully, Adonay.
--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com