w3m display buffer

From: Haines Brown
Subject: w3m display buffer
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:47:31 -0000

I've posed a set of questions that may be connected, but because I'm
not sure of that I've divided them up.

I have w3m installed with emacs 23.2.1 and am able to display a .html
file with w3m (I've also installed emacs-w3m, but I see no difference
and am not sure what it is for). In addition, I have installed
sunrise-commander.

When I have a html file selected in sunrise-commander, and call "! w3m"
on it, it shows up in another buffer. However, not the buffer I want.

In contrast in sunrise-commander all I need to display a PDF file is do
RET for a selected .pdf file, and it opens in the other
sunrise-commander pane in the Doc-view mode. When I'm finished viewing
it, I can close the buffer and return to where I was before. With a html
file, in the opposite pance is displayed the the html markup as if I
intended to edit that markup, instead of display it as a webpage.

With w3m, this page is instead displayed at the bottom in the "dired by
name" buffer, which gets split into two panes, with "dired by name" at
the left, and a Fundamental Mode pane at the right to display the web
page. This display is too small to be useful.

Ideally, I'd like simply to dispose of a dired buffer altogether,
leaving visible only the two panes of sunrise commander, and have the
html file displayed by w3m as a web page in the right pane simply by
entering RET on the file as I do with PDF files.

If I can't dispose of the "dired-by-name" buffer, I'd at least like to
reduce its size dramatically and direct w3d to display in the other
sunrise-commander pane instead of in Dired by Name.

Haines Brown