Re: Solution for gnus wide sync

From: Andi Albrecht
Subject: Re: Solution for gnus wide sync
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:45:20 -0000

Rafael <rvf0068@gmail.com> writes:

> Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 02 2010, Paulo J. Matos Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently using GNUS widely at home, on the laptop and at
>>> work. However, annoyingly I don't have any sync setup between gnus
>>> besides the config file through git and dropbox.
>>>
>>> What I would like is to sync
>>> - the topic setup
>>> - subscribed newsgroups
>>> - newsgroup message status (read, expired, etc)
>>>
>>> Any tips on how to do this or workarounds to this?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dropbox would probably be far easier (and mostly automatic).  My
>> experience that if you keep the files in these directories in sync
>> then things simply work as you would expect.
>
> Since Monday I have been using the following (in .emacs).
>
>   (setq gnus-home-directory "~/Dropbox/gnus")
>   (setq gnus-directory "~/Dropbox/gnus/News")
>   (setq message-directory "~/Dropbox/gnus/Mail")
>
> and so far everything seems to work. According to the documentation,
> only the first should suffice, but not for me.

I'm using Dropbox too for a while now and it works pretty well. The only
thing I've never tried is to be logged in on both machines at the same
time with a running Gnus on both. Dropbox has no automatic merging, so
maybe this could cause some problems.

Different from Rafaels setup I've symlink'ed ~/.newsrs, ~/.newsrc.eld
and ~/News to corresponding files in my ~/Dropbox directory.

Andi