Re: Gnus works `at it is' but isn't that a coincidence?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus works `at it is' but isn't that a coincidence?
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:20:50 +0100

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

Hi!

>> The primary method isn't prefixed. The secondary ones are.
>
> Prefixed? Huh? In which way?

The groups from the primary select method show up as

    foo.bar.baz

whereas the same group on a secondary server would show up as

    nntp+MyNewsServer:foo.bar.baz

>> Why are you customizing gnus-signature-separator?!
>
> Isn't that necessary? That could be what causes my signatures'
> problems.

Just a general comment: Never ever modify any variables unless you know
what you are doing.  And don't borrow code you've found on the net,
unless you can understand it!

Gnus (all of Emacs) has sane default values for anything.  Start with
them.  Of course, when you want to use Gnus, you have some initial setup
to do, but only for telling it where to get mail/news and how to send
it.

For example, to use Gnus for reading mail on an IMAP server (IMO, the
times of storing mail only locally are dead and gone), simply add
something like

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))

to your ~/.gnus.el, and login/password into ~/.authinfo.gpg.  Basically,
that should be everything you need to do, at least with very recent gnus
versions.

Bye,
Tassilo