Re: Email I send no longer gets through?

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: Email I send no longer gets through?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:45:24 -0000

It dawns on me that I think I asked the wrong question before.  I asked
about getting exim4 or another MTA running, but I think I've only got an
MTA for localmail from daemons and processes, right?  I should use
feedmail or something like that to get mail from Gnus to my hosting
service, right?

So I went back and re-ran dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config and set
variables to what I think are the default installation:

local delivery only; not on a network
<its default for mail name -- not what I quite expected from uname,
but I'll go with it>
127.0.0.1 for an address to listen to in order to prohibit external connections
<blank> for recipient domains
Dial-on-Demand set to No (the default)
mbox format in /var/mail
no split

I still seem to get email, but I still can't send.  If this gets
through, I can also post via nntp.

Slackrat <g-no-ose@azurservers.com> writes:

> DO:
> mail -s TEST <yourUserName>@<YourSMTP-Address>
> then a few lines of junk
> Then a "." on a line by itself
>
> Then:
> tail /var/log/maillog (or wherever your logs lurk)

I just did that, and nothing shows up there.  I did start gEximon and
saw the message "Mailing to remote domains not supported".

That suggests to me that sending mail on my system is connected to exim4
somehow, even though I think it should not be.

I then started looking at my feedmail configuration.  This had been the
same configuration I had used successfully on Ubuntu.

Here are pertinent sections of my .emacs:

    (setq send-mail-function 'feedmail-send-it)
    (autoload 'feedmail-send-it "feedmail")

    (setq feedmail-enable-queue t)
    (autoload 'feedmail-run-the-queue "feedmail")
    (autoload 'feedmail-run-the-queue-no-prompts "feedmail")
    (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.fqm$" . mail-mode) auto-mode-alist))

but the customize section has

 '(mail-user-agent (quote gnus-user-agent))
 '(message-send-mail-function (quote message-smtpmail-send-it))
 '(message-send-mail-partially-limit 3000000)

It also has

 '(smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")

which is probably good, as I then have a tunnel set up:

ssh -p 222 -f facil@facilitatedsystems.com -L
110:facilitatedsystems.com:110 -L 25:facilitatedsystems.com:26 -nN

(and my host does say to use port 26 at their end).

One last thing: running (autoload 'feedmail-send-it "feedmail") above
with C-x C-e returns nil, while I'd suspect it to return t.  I wonder if
that's the clue, but I don't quite know what to do about it.

Does any of this make any sense?

Any advice on things to look through?  I admit to having a mix of
customize and .gnus / .emacs stuff, as I've been using Emacs for decades
and Gnus for years, and it's just grown.  Is it better to move stuff to
customize and out of .emacs / .gnus where possible?

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA