Re: Problems sending mail with ssl on port 465

From: Torben Knudsen
Subject: Re: Problems sending mail with ssl on port 465
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:43:17 -0000

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:28:19 +0200, Torben wrote:
>
>> tk@tk-laptop:~$ gnutls-cli --port 465 smtp.es.aau.dk
> [...]
>> 220 mta1.es.aau.dk ESMTP Exim 4.63 Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:49:20 +0200
>
> That looks encouraging. What error message do you get when you try to
> send email this way?

I haven't tried to send an email by the command line gnutls-cli.

>> Trace from sending on port 587 with starttls and gnutls-cli installed
>> and without vpn
>> Notice the "535 Incorrect authentication data"
>
> The obvious question is if you've specified your login/password
> correct?

I belive so but I will ack IT people if there should be something
strange here.

>> Trace when starttls and gnutls-cli is NOT installed but a vpn
>> connection is active.
>> Notice that no authentication seems to go on
>
> I'm confused. The email got sent, right? What is the problem?

The problem is that I have to have a vpn running just for this.
Sometimes it disconect and also have to switch it off soetimes.  The
reason why the mail is send in this case is that being on the university
network I don't have to give a password.

Maybe I will set low priority on this task for a while partly because I
haven't time for it and partly because the IT administration maybe come
up with some solution we all have to use.

Thanks again for the help.
--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen     Mobile  : (+45) 2787 9826
Section of Automation and Control,      Direct  : 6 8694