Re: : Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: : Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:42:44 -0000

Op dinsdag 18 mei 2010 15:17 CEST schreef Gijs Hillenius:

On 18 May 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>> Not long ago I started using tc to get better citation. This works okay.
>> But just now I got the following when I tried to reply to someone:
>> fill-delete-newlines: Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)
>>
>> It is a combination of ct and the message, because I just tried several
>> other messages and with those there is no problem replying. What could
>> be happening here?
>
> I'm bitten by this bug/feature too, have been for years.
>
> I think this mostly (only?) happens when I reply to a reply. It seems
> Gnus gets confused about the not *one* but _two_ signatures that may be
> in the message it tries to wrap around, adding yet a third.

Not in my case. The client has put in spaces, like below:

It is a bit strange, because when only selecting lines like this, it
does not go wrong. But at the moment I select something like:

it does go wrong.

> I blame the other user's mail client (well, duh) that did not strip my
> signature when it replied.

In a way, but on the other hand Gnus should not 'crash' when receiving
wrong input.

> My workaround is to create a block (ctrl space etcetera) inside the
> reply and quote-reply to that, bypassing/removing all signatures.

I did not know that. I used it to test what I wrote above. Is not useful
for me, because I needed several parts of the e-mail. But I have a
solution:
    (defun dcbl-switch-message-cite-function ()
      (interactive)
      (if (equal message-cite-function 'trivial-cite)
          (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)
        (setq message-cite-function 'trivial-cite))
      (message (format "%s" message-cite-function)))

In this way I can go back to the default way for this one e-mail.

I understood that tc is not maintained anymore. Maybe I'll look into it.
(But not in the near future.)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer