Re: auto-fill and fill-paragraph not working in Gnus

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: auto-fill and fill-paragraph not working in Gnus
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:42:35 -0000

Jason  Mader <jasonmader@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 11, 11:04 am, Lowell Gilbert <lguse...@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> Jason  Mader <jasonma...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I am using Emacs version 23.2.1 and Gnus 5.10.9.  In Message mode,
>> > auto-fill mode is enabled but it seems to be ignored.  And fill-
>> > paragraph fills a paragraph strangely, tab indenting all the lines
>> > after the first line.  The only way to fill text is to select the text
>> > with mark and then manually run fill-region.
>>
>> Maybe you have a fill-prefix set?
>
> fill-prefix is nil
> fill-column is 74
>
> In message-fill-field-general fill-prefix is set to \t and that is
> what my paragraphs look like.  But that should only be used for
> headers, not the message body.

Quite right.  I was just taking a bit of a shot in the dark, because I
can't reproduce the problem -- which admittedly is only described in vague
terms, but I'm clearly not getting whatever it is you are.  I'm not
running exactly the same versions, either.

You might try testing with your configuration files disabled, just to
see how close to home the problem originates.