Re: Trouble connecting with IMAP (Windows Emacs with Cygwin SSL/TLS tool

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Trouble connecting with IMAP (Windows Emacs with Cygwin SSL/TLS tools)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:59:09 -0600

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:22:30 -0400 "Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com> wrote:

SEH> I have a recent CVS snapshot of Gnus setup with the Cygwin XEmacs build
SEH> and the rest of the Cygwin tools (openssl, starttls) working just
SEH> fine. I can connect to various IMAP servers with encrypted connections.

SEH> Recently I set up a Windows build of Emacs (GNU Emacs 22.2.1) and I'm
SEH> trying to get Gnus to work with it similarly. Gnus is able to connect
SEH> (unencrypted) to NNTP servers, but all of my attempts to connect to IMAP
SEH> servers fail. I suspect it's a coding system problem with using Cygwin
SEH> programs to handle the encrypted connections.
SEH> Some things look strange here. Not the "^M" terminators on the lines
SEH> sent and received from the server. Also note how one side logs out
SEH> /before/ it logs in.
SEH> I see that there are the two variables `imap-coding-system-for-write'
SEH> and `imap-coding-system-for-read', which are set to `binary' by
SEH> default. Might resetting those be related to solving this problem?
SEH> When I look at the *imap-log* buffer in hexl-mode, I can see that each
SEH> of the offending lines ends with CR CR LF. It's hard to tell what's
SEH> really going back and forth across the network.

Hi,

I haven't replied because I don't know much about Emacs coding systems,
but it's been a while since you made this report.  Have you found a
workaround, have things started working with a newer Emacs CVS, or are
you still stuck?  I don't have a Cygwin setup here but I can make one if
no one else can help debug this.

Thanks
Ted