Re: More than one IMAP mailbox on the same server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: More than one IMAP mailbox on the same server
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:55:27 -0600

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:40:39 -0400 victor@algebraic.org (Victor S. Miller)
wrote:

>>>>>> "Victor" == Victor S Miller <victor@algebraic.org> writes:
Victor> I have two different IMAP mailboxes on the same server.  How
Victor> do I set up my .gnus and .authinfo to handle them.  From
Victor> reading the documentation it appears that gnus seems keyed on
Victor> the server alone and not the server/mailbox pair.  Please
Victor> correct me if I'm wrong.

VSM> I should have mentioned that I want to use both IMAP accounts as a
VSM> mail storage protocol (so that the mail is stored on the remote
VSM> server, and I can just look at individual emails in a similar way that
VSM> I would look at newsgroups).  I understand how I can have many
VSM> accounts when I use IMAP as a mail server.

I looked at this and you're right, the server address is the primary key
(together with the port).  Can you explain what's broken if you just
subscribe to both mailboxes?  Do the two mailboxes have different user
names and passwords?  Can you use a DNS alias (CNAME) to point to the
second server, or maybe run on a different port while we figure this
out?

Thanks
Ted