Re: Best way to see html stuff

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Best way to see html stuff
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:32:52 +0100

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:

Hi Torben,

>>> Can I still click on links and se them in firefox?
>>
>> Yes, by pressing "M" (w3m-view-url-with-external-browser) in a w3m
>> buffer will either load the page in an external browser (if the
>> cursor is not on a link) or load the link in an external browser.
>
> This is a fine solution.  I am now using emacs-w3m as suggested by
> Tassilo Horn and I can use firefox when needed.

Indeed, I didn't know about M in w3m.  Very nice!

> Thanks again.  I think this should be standard in gnus.

The problem is that emacs-w3m and w3m are not installed everywhere.  But
looking at the code, at least with the Gnus version it'll do this:

  - if w3m is installed
    - if emacs-w3m is installed ==> use it
    - no w3m ==> use w3m standalone
  - try links
  - try lynx
  - try w3
  - try html2text
  - if everything failed, use the default browser

Seems plausible to me.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Movie trivia: The movie "Invasion U.S.A." is, in fact, a documentary.