Re: re-specifying ~/News and ~/Mail

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: re-specifying ~/News and ~/Mail
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:57:18 +0100

Pablo Sanchez <dev.null@blueoakdb.com> writes:

Hi Pablo

> I'm using gnus v5.11 and I've google'd (not very hard) on how to
> configure gnus to use different directories other than ~/News and
> ~/Mail. I'd like to keep my top-level directory tidy.

I think you want to change either this variable:

`gnus-home-directory'
     All Gnus file and directory variables will be initialized from this
     variable, which defaults to `~/'.

Or maybe these two:

`gnus-directory'
     Most Gnus storage file and directory variables will be initialized
     from this variable, which defaults to the `SAVEDIR' environment
     variable, or `~/News/' if that variable isn't set.

     Note that Gnus is mostly loaded when the `~/.gnus.el' file is read.
     This means that other directory variables that are initialized
     from this variable won't be set properly if you set this variable
     in `~/.gnus.el'.  Set this variable in `.emacs' instead.

`message-directory'
     Directory used by many mailey things.  The default is `~/Mail/'.
     All other mail file variables are derived from `message-directory'.

When searching for a variable controlling something, then it is often
useful to search with M-x apropos-value for the value in question.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.