Re: Do not let spam-trap go hungry! Your (normal) posts may help! :-)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Do not let spam-trap go hungry! Your (normal) posts may help! :-)
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:52:30 +0100

On Thu, Jan 31 2008, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> For different machines with the same "right hand side" of the MID, the
>> algorithm in `message-unique-id' cannot guarantee uniqueness.  It is
>> unlikely that the left hand side is the same, but not impossible.
>>
>> RFC 2822, says: "The message identifier (msg-id) itself MUST be a
>> globally unique identifier for a message.".  When using the unique,
>> full qualified hostname, Gnus' algorithm guarantees this uniqueness.
>
> Take a look at the issue from another side:
> What can stop a spammer/abuser from using gnus message-id algorithm and
> *your* domain name in *mass* spam runs?

Which has nothing to do with what I wrote.

> What I suggested allows *personal* selection of "any host" in
> fsf.hobby-site.com domain.

Your still missing the point.  Unless it is ruled out that no two
users "select" the same "any host", the problem still exists.  See e.g
how some big provider allow ID-NNNNN.user.uni-berlin.de where NNNNN is
a unique number for each user.  But they don't allow
${pick-some-random-personal-name-yourself}.user.uni-berlin.de for good
reasons.

EOT for me.

Bye, Reiner.
--