Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: What's NOV? Should gnus-nov-is-evil be set to t?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:27:54 +0900

> On 2007-09-13 13:09 +0100, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>>> Do you think this should go to the manual?'

>> Isn't it enough?

>> (info "(gnus)Terminology")
>> ,----
>>|"NOV"
>>|  When Gnus enters a group, it asks the back end for the headers of
>>|  all unread articles in the group.  Most servers support the News
>>|  OverView format, which is more compact and much faster to read and
>>|  parse than the normal HEAD format.
>> `----

>> I take time ten times as long as Japanese to write English. ;-)

> It is odd that it is not explained in the main text of the
> manual. Terminology is the last thing a user want to see.

Indeed.  I was skeptical to make the Gnus manual describe in detail
such a common word.  Since Gnus started as a simple news reader[1],
NOV was a self-explaining word, I believe.  But I agree to add a
brief explanation in some place.  Volunteer?  (If no one stands,
I'll do it someday, even though I'm not a good English writer. ;-)

[1] It was GNUS in those days.  How simple the one I used first
    was: http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/elisp/attic/gnus-3.12.tar.Z