Re: Hidden lines in the message body

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Hidden lines in the message body
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:01:32 +0900

> Thanks.
> The problem seems to be solved since I put in .gnus.el the line:

>  (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)

Well, this may cause you inconvenience, especially when exchanging
messages with Gnus users.  Because Gnus users may expect others
who use Gnus not change such an option.  I'm not an exception.
I think the second one (i.e., using `mm-uu-configure-list') is
better for you.  Otherwise, to use another pattern that does not
conflict with Gnus' default is much better if it is possible.
For instance:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --%<-- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

You can verify how your message will be seen by Gnus users before
sending, by typing the `C-c C-m P' command in the message buffer.

>> (setq gnus-article-emulate-mime nil)
>> or
>> (eval-after-load "mm-uu"
>>   '(add-to-list 'mm-uu-configure-list
>>              '(insert-marks . disabled)))

> 1) Is that what you meant? (I don't well understand the meaning of the lines
>    where it says `cut here', `start', `end'.)

I ran the `C-c M-m' command (in the message buffer) on those two
Lisp snippets to surround them with `-cut here-' lines.  Those
lines will not appear in the Gnus article buffer if
`gnus-article-emulate-mime' is non-nil.  Moreover the Lisp codes
will be highlighted with the `mm-uu-extract' face.  This is what
I intended, however I forgot that you might disable this feature.

> 2) Won't there be any unwished side effects with other messages (e.g.,
>    including attachments)?

I believe this feature never breaks attachments that senders put
on purpose.

Regards,