Re: attachment behavior

From: Jaakko Kangasharju
Subject: Re: attachment behavior
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:56:39 +0300

Randy Yates <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> writes:

> I have successfully sent zip files and other types
> of files for months. However, when I attach a pdf,
> the file is corrupt (as reported by Adobe Acrobat)
> on the receiving client. I can open the original
> file just fine with Adobe Acrobat. This happens
> whether attaching using the default mime type of
> application/pdf as well as when forcing it to
> application/octet-stream.

I remember having some problems because Gnus encoded PDFs in quoted
printable; apparently it decided they were "text enough".  This then
caused problems when the receiving end's mailer (quite properly) did
newline conversion.  The following is what I put in my .gnus.el to fix
this:

(setq mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults
      (cons '("application/pdf" base64)
          mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults))

Gnus 5.10 (at least the one I'm using) seems to encode PDF (and most
other stuff) as base64 by default.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
Kokoo kokoon koko kokko! Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko!