[igraph] General correlation between two data sets?

From: Message
Subject: [igraph] General correlation between two data sets?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:06:58 +0000

Hi All,

I've been trying to write some logic in Python to correlate two sets of simple data. For example:

1) set 1 (S1)
apple, 5, 150
apple, 3, 150
orange, 8, 200
orange, 5, 150

2) set 2 (S2)
apple, 8, 200
apple, 5, 150
orange, 8, 100
orange, 3, 150

In the above the following should match up :
S1- row 1 = S2 row 2  (100% match)
S1- row 2 = S2 row 4  (66% match)
S1- row 3 = S2 row 1  (66% match)
S1- row 4 = S2 row 3  (33% match)

I've written logic to do this, but it scales badly on larger sets of data due to the number of comparisons I need to make.
I confess I'm not familiar with Graph Theory, but I get the general feeling it may be possible to emulate this type of correlation functionality.

I'd be very grateful if somebody could give me some initial feedback / overview if this would be possible - and could igraph help?

Thanks for any feedback. All the best,
Marc