Re: [igraph] help installing igraph

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] help installing igraph
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:42:04 +0200

Dear Hernan,

I'm trying to install the igraph python module on a linux machine and, when running "python setup.py build", I get the following error:
[...]
Anybody known what the problem is? Is -ligraph an appropriate option?
Yes, that's an appropriate option, it instructs the compiler to try to link with the igraph dynamic library (libigraph.so on Linux systems). So first you'll have to figure out where it is. It should be created when you compile and install the C source code using the usual procedure:

./configure
make
make install (of course this one has to be run as root if you install it to /usr or /usr/local)

The Python setup script tries to figure out the path to libigraph.so by issuing the following command on the command line:

pkg-config igraph --libs

When it fails, the setup script falls back to the default system directories (/usr/lib and /usr/local/lib). If your libigraph.so is at a different place, edit the variable called LIBIGRAPH_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_DIRS in setup.py appropriately.

By the way, there are precompiled binary packages for Debian and Fedora, so if you are using one of these distributions, you don't have to compile igraph manually.

Regards,
--
Tamas