Re: [igraph] Slow running speed of the R igraph lib

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Slow running speed of the R igraph lib
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:48:26 +0200

Ok, so this is the edge betweenness algorithm. I suggest
to run just a simple edge betweenness calculation and
measure the running time:

system.time(eb <- edge.betweenness(mygraph))

and then multiply this by the number of nodes to
get an estimate for the running time of the edge
betweenness community structure finding algorithm.
This is only a rought estimate, and it is basically
only an upper limit if the network is sparse.

You can also try to extract a subgraph from your
graph and see how the algorithm performs on
smaller graphs with the same average degree.

Calculating edge betweenness is an O(mn) operation,
and we need to do this m times, so the community
structure finding is O(m^2 n).
Why do you think that it should be faster?

Gabor