hyperbole-users

Re: how to run a elisp-function

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: how to run a elisp-function
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 13:32:14 -0400

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:41 AM Dr. Erich Ruff <dr.erich.ruff@t-online.de> wrote:

Hello,

first of all: I'm very impressed of hyperbole and am glad you programmed it.

Great, excited to have you with us.

I use the pre8.0-Version and am already creating a net of links to my
literature. I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to start a elisp-function with an action key?

You can create an explicit button with an eval-elisp action type and just give the function call as the action argument, e.g.
  (message (format "%s" (current-column)))

Then when you press that button, it will show you the column your point is in, as a simple example.

Alternatively you can also create your own types of implicit action buttons that you can place anywhere.  See the documentation string for defal, i.e. Action Key press on {C-h f defal RET}.  This is a great new simple way to create implicit buttons that link to whatever you need.

2) How can I - without using the GUI-emacs option-system - in .emacs
programmatically add entries to:

hyperbole-web-search-alist

You can use something like:

(push '("Name" . "https://url-with-%s-in-it") hyperbole-web-search-alist)

or you could use a setq call and just replace the whole list with the items you want where you want them.

Enjoy,

Bob

programmtically, that is in elisp?

I found no way to do it in elisp.