Re: [help-texinfo] web site using texinfo->docbook->html

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] web site using texinfo->docbook->html
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:01:35 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:

My only comment on the home page is that the spacing gets quite spacey
without linebreaking in url's.  Personally I think ragged right is the
way to go on web pages, user's fonts and screens vary so widely.

I'm inclined to agree.  And it's just a matter of removing a
'text-align: justify;' from the css style-sheet.

However, that doesn't solve the problem for the printed manual.
For that I think there has to be a mechanism for discretionary
line breaks.  For example it may be reasonable to treat a '/'
in a URL as if it were '\discretionary{/}{/}{}' (if I remember
my TeX right).  It might also be reasonable to have an explicit
command for a discretionary line-break.

For HTML one can use "zero width space".  E.g. have makeinfo translate:
   For a technical overview of Kawa, see these
   @uref{http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/internals/index.html}.
into:
http://www.gnu.org/&#x200b;software/&#x200b;kawa/&#x200b;internals/&#x200b;index.html</a>.

That works pretty well, at least with Firefox.

Typo in the first line: "compling" them into Java bytecodes ...

Thanks!  Noted (in my working tree).
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/