help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] tar: Child returned status 1, Error is not recoverable: e

From: Robert Kudyba
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] tar: Child returned status 1, Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:11:50 -0500

On Feb 8, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Pavel Raiskup <address@hidden> wrote:

Here are the errors:
/bin/tar: home/users/aquota.user: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Robert, can you post a full tar commandline of process that wrote this error
message?

It varies depending on the excludes and what part of the file system we are backing up. That’s why I included the actual backup script. But for arguments sake here would be one example:

ionice -c2 -n7 nice -n19 $tar -czf home-users-new.tar.gz-C / --one-file-system  --preserve-permissions --warning=no-file-ignored --warning=no-file-changed --warning=no-file-removed