help-smalltalk

[Help-smalltalk] Re: Smalltalk mailing list & compilation

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:03:49 +0200

Thanks, you may save some people some time :)
I think not many people are running 2.95.x at this time.
Now, here goes the newbie questions, please bear with me: I am new to Smalltalk and have looked at the manual page at http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/gst-manual/gst.html and I can't make the examples work. I've run the test suite and all test pass but when I try to run Blox as stated in 3.7.1 (gst -qK blox/Run.st) these files don't exist, I think it's equivalent to run

gst -qK browser/Run.st
Yes, that should be fixed. The online manual has not been updated for a long time. You can do "make pdf" after installing and get nice manuals in pdf format (or also "make html").
/usr/local/share/smalltalk/browser/Run.st:44: invalid scope resolution

I have a directory named blox-tk and I'm sure I'm missing something but how can I correct this? How does Smalltalk look for packages, how does it know 'Browser' corresponds to browser-tk?
The browser is cross platform, it works equally for Tk and Gtk (but the latter is experimental). But you probably don't have the Tcl/Tk development packages installed. Look for tclConfig.sh in your disk, it is probably not there.
Another problem is I seem unable to type examples at the st> prompt. If I type

x := Array new: 20 !

I get

stdin:1: assignment to undeclared variable x

but I thought you don't have to declare anything in Smalltalk!?
No, you do have to declare temporary variables.

| x |
x := Array new: 20!

Note also that, after you end the "interaction" with the exclamation mark, the "x" variable ceases to exist.

This is not true with the graphical browser, which has temporary variable like these, but also permanent, workspace-visible variables.
Thanks for your help and sorry for the long message but I'm totally new to this.
No problem, if there are any suggestions you can make I (and the few other contributors) are all ears.

Paolo