help-shishi

Copy of GFDL in copyright?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Copy of GFDL in copyright?
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:40:53 +0200

Russ, I just upgraded debian-shishi CVS for latest Shishi, and also
removed the copy of GFDL and pointed at /usr/share/common-licenses/GFDL
instead.  Maybe I shouldn't have done the last step?  I noticed your
earlier commit:

* Include a copy of the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 in
  debian/copyright as required by Policy 12.5.

Policy 12.5 says:

  Packages distributed under the UCB BSD license, the Artistic license,
  the GNU GPL, and the GNU LGPL, should refer to the corresponding files
  under /usr/share/common-licenses,[82] rather than quoting them in the
  copyright file.

However, [82] says:

  For example, /usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic,
  /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD, /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL,
  /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL, /usr/share/common-licenses/GFDL,
  /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2, and
  /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL-2.1, and so on. Note that the GFDL is
  new here, and the license file may not yet be in place in
  /usr/share/common-licenses/GFDL.

I'm not sure I follow the intention: either just the licenses mentioned
in 12.5 are OK to substitute with a reference, or all common licenses
distributed in base-files are OK to substitute with a reference.  The
latter seems more flexible to me.  Which is it?

Maybe the policy has changed in this area since you made the change
(2006-11-05) too.

Btw, I suspect we should wait with any upload until the GPLv3 license
has been reviewed by debian, and possibly also installed into
/usr/share/common-licenses/?

/Simon