Re: New installer of RCS, "ci" doesn't create a file

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: New installer of RCS, "ci" doesn't create a file
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 23:59:18 -0600

John Chandler wrote:
> I just installed the three archive files that comprise the MSW distribution.

I am not familiar with that distribution.  Neither was I able to turn
up any information on it from various web searches.

> I'm not sure why there are three rather than one, especially since they can't
> all be installed into the same directory due to the name collision between the
> three identical copies of README.  But whatever.

I suggest using the Cygwin tools.  Cygwin includes a version of rcs
and all of the tools are ported to MS-Windows.

  http://cygwin.com/

> I have created an empty RCS subdirectory in the directory where I
> want to start managing revisions.
> I type "ci LatestNemoWireframe.pdf"  and get this message:
>
> RCS/LatestNemoWireframe.pdf  <--  LatestNemoWireframe.pdf

Seems reasonable.

> The RCS directory is unchanged.  Doesn't contain any files.  The current
> directory (parent of RCS) is also unchanged.  No "," file.
>
> OK, I understand that this is Windows, and everything I know is
> wrong.  But does this behavior make any sense to anyone out there?

Nope.  It makes no sense to me.

I suggest that you try the Cygwin tools.  They have a good reputation
for producing high quality ports of Unix and GNU tools to MS-Windows.

Bob