Extra Characters when saving .m files

From: Sarah Carnochan Naqvi
Subject: Extra Characters when saving .m files
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 15:04:22 -0600

When I edit a .m file in the editor and save the file. It is adding hidden characters to the file in the first line.  I can see them in Notepad++, but not in the OCTAVE Editor.

The error at the command line in OCTAVE is:

parse error near line 1 of file E:\octave\student-qs\GCL.m

  syntax error

The first line of the file from Notepad ++ is:

The line same line in the Octave editor is:

I'd really appreciate some help stopping this from happening.

Thank you,
Sarah