Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:56:09 -0500

On Nov 12, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

> I don't think the issue here is a GPL violation at all. I was only
> slightly alarmed it might be, but I'm not anymore.
>
> The real issue is that in order to give free programs to users of Mac
> OS X we are first asking them to install a non-free compiler and agree
> to its restrictive terms. That they are already running a non-free OS
> isn't any reason to ask them to submit themselves to further
> restrictions.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I'm presently able to construct a X86_64 MacOS X application bundle (using
MacPorts) that has been reported to run on MacOS 10.7-10.8.

http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts#Testing

I'm even able to compile an run simple mex and/or oct files.

If I had a Mac running MacOS 10.6, I expect I could build an i386 based version
that would run on MacOS 10.6-10.8.  I've been thinking of installing MacOS X
via VirtualBox just for that purpose, but haven't had the time.

Beyond that, the next problem for MacOS X is that the GUI doesn't run due to
the fork/exec problems with Qt on MacOS X (?).

In any event, perhaps an X86_64 based MacOS bundle can be added to sourceforge
after 3.6.4 is released?

Ben