Re: Mathematica and octave [Was: ... and symbian]

From: Stewart Dickson
Subject: Re: Mathematica and octave [Was: ... and symbian]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:24:07 -0600

Actually, for programming problems with linear solutions, I find Octave *very* similar to Mathematica.
Perhaps it was Matlab which borrowed its syntax from Mathematica?

If you follow the Help-Octave threads "Symbolic Package Errors" and "Is the symbolic package useless?" :)
*There* you will find the difference between Mathematica and Octave.  :)

What kinds of conclusions can be drawn from this page:
http://rigaux.org/language-study/syntax-across-languages.html   ?
I was thinking that there might be more similarity between Mathematica and GNU-emacs/LISP
in terms of symbol-substitution.

-Stewart