Re: Compiling 2.1.71 on FC4

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Compiling 2.1.71 on FC4
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:29:22 -0500

Shai Ayal wrote:

Quentin,

what options to configure did you use when compiling octave for FC4?

I tried using gfortran as follows and it did not pass the tests:
F77=gfortran ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
this compiles using gcc,g++ & gfortran which are all version 4.0.1
It hangs on trying to do:
cond ([1, 2; 2, 1])
from the octave.test/linalg/cond-1.m test.

The version I did manage to compile and is working is:
CC=gcc32 CXX=g++32 ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
that is, using the 3.2 versions of gcc,g++ and g77

For what it's worth, here's the relevant line from the Fedora spec file:
CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -D_GNU_SOURCE" ./configure \
       --enable-shared=yes --enable-lite-kernel --enable-static=no \
       --prefix=%{_prefix} --infodir=%{_infodir} --libdir=%{_libdir}

The last three options are /usr, /usr/share/info, and /usr/lib, respectively. According to my computer, RPM_OPT_FLAGS is defined as "-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables".

It appears you're able to compile, but running into problems with make check? I have to admit I've never run make check before. And, I think Dmitri may be right: make sure you have an up-to-date version of blas and lapack installed. I don't remember any problems with the FC1 version, but there have been with some others (FC3 in particular) which could have caused the problem you're seeing. On the other hand, I seem to recall from your original mail that you were compiling with ATLAS, so maybe this is not the problem. (By the way, I have an ATLAS package pending review for Fedora Extras--I'll send something to the list when it gets in).

-Quentin