Re: Compiling 2.1.71 on FC4

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Compiling 2.1.71 on FC4
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:55:37 +0300

Quentin,

what options to configure did you use when compiling octave for FC4?

I tried using gfortran as follows and it did not pass the tests:
F77=gfortran ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
this compiles using gcc,g++ & gfortran which are all version 4.0.1
It hangs on trying to do:
cond ([1, 2; 2, 1])
from the octave.test/linalg/cond-1.m test.

The version I did manage to compile and is working is:
CC=gcc32 CXX=g++32 ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
that is, using the 3.2 versions of gcc,g++ and g77

Shai

p.s. Disclaimer: As I mentioned this is not a plain vanilla FC4, but an upgraded FC1 with a lot of historical stuff lying around which could be causing problems.

Quentin Spencer wrote:
Shai Ayal wrote:

Hi

As promised I upgraded to FC4. This is not a vanilla install of FC4, rather FC1 upgraded to FC4. My previously compiled 2.1.71, (compiled on FC1) is still working, however, I decided I need to recompile just in case. I know there are binary rpm's, but I feel safer if I can compile it myself.

Recompliation fails when trying to link the octave binary

I suspect part of your problem has to do with the compiler. FC4 uses gcc 4, which no longer uses g77, but a new compiler called gfortran. It appears the octave configure script is picking up g++ from gcc4, but g77 from the old gcc that is on your system from FC1. I would suggest removing the gcc-g77 package, installing gcc-gfortran from FC4 (if it isn't already), and trying the compile again.

-Quentin