Re: CVS: compile problem

From: Helgi Tomasson
Subject: Re: CVS: compile problem
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:22:58 +0000

It seems that when I downloaded  via CVS at least one file was missing

config.h.in

I downloaded config.h.in  and included in
the CVS-download and then the CVS-version compiled and seems to be
working.  (I am using SUSE-Linux-6.3, kernel  2.2 on a pentium 133).

I go the following errors, via make check, and a look at config.log

Running ./octave.test/poly/poly.exp ...
FAIL: octave.test/poly/residue-1.m
IT SEEMS THAT THE ACCURACY IS NOT ENOUGH HERE???
Running ./octave.test/prefer/prefer.exp ...
(MY GUESS FROM LOOKING AT residue-1.m)
Running ./octave.test/quad/quad.exp ...

 of expected passes            1251
# of unexpected failures        1
../src/octave version 2.1.31 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)

make[2]: *** [check] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/octave/test'
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/octave'
make: *** [check] Error 2

an error reported in config.log

configure:1066: checking for C++ support for new friend template
declaration
configure:1103: c++ -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.C  1>&5
/tmp/cc2QL8sP.o: In function `main':
/tmp/octave/configure:1098: undefined reference to `operator==(A const &, A
const &)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 1093 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include "conftest.h"
int main() {

        A a (1);
        return a == A(1);

; return 0; }
configure:1140: checking for gcc

etc.

sincerely yours

Helgi

"John W. Eaton" wrote:

> On  2-Dec-2000, Helgi Tomasson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I have downloaded the newes octave with CVS and have some compilation
> | problem.  I think I
> | have the necessary software on suse-linux-6.3 (I have also tried on my
> | redhat machines)
> |
> | g++ --version 2.95.2
> |
> | bison --version GNU Bison version 1.28
> |
> | Configure seems to run fine but make quickly stops, says
> |
> | In file included from dMatrix.h:36,
> |                  from CollocWt.h:32,
> |                  from CollocWt.cc:33:
> | data-conv.h:41: #error "No 2 byte integer type found!"
> | data-conv.h:49: #error "No 4 byte integer type found!"
> | make[2]: *** [CollocWt.o] Error 1
> | make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/octave/liboctave'
> | make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
> |
> | does anybody have a hint?
>
> If you looked in data-conv.h, you would find
>
>   #if SIZEOF_SHORT == 2
>   #define TWO_BYTE_INT short
>   #elif SIZEOF_INT == 2
>   #define TWO_BYTE_INT int
>   #else
>   #error "No 2 byte integer type found!"
>   #endif
>
>   #if SIZEOF_INT == 4
>   #define FOUR_BYTE_INT int
>   #elif SIZEOF_LONG == 4
>   #define FOUR_BYTE_INT long
>   #else
>   #error "No 4 byte integer type found!"
>   #endif
>
> It looks like you are using gcc on an Intel (compatible) system.  If
> so, then I would expect SIZEOF_SHORT == 2 and SIZEOF_INT == 4.  The
> configure script checks for this are done using standard autoconf
> tests:
>
>   ### How big are ints and how are they oriented?  These could probably
>   ### be eliminated in favor of run-time checks.
>
>   AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(short, 2)
>   AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(int, 4)
>   AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long, 4)
>   AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long, 8)
>
> So, why doesn't the configure script work correctly for you?
>
> jwe

Helgi Tomasson                                       FAX:  354-552-6806
University of Iceland                                PHONE:354-525-4571
Faculty of Economics and Business Administration     email:address@hidden
Oddi v/ Sturlugotu
IS-101 Reykjavik
ICELAND