How to compile the standalone program with octave libs?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: How to compile the standalone program with octave libs?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 22:19:55 -0600

On  4-Dec-2000, Dmitry Sidorov <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am now trying to compile the standalone program with octave libs. It is
| needed to simulate the analog VHDL model with Savant, a VHDL parser and
| simulator.
|

| But when trying to run gcc, I obtain the lot of message like:
|
| /usr/lib/octave-2.0.16//liboctave.so: undefined reference to
| `kpse_clear_dir_cache'
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
|
| The gcc options '-lcruft -lkpathsea -lf2c' reduce amount of such messages,
| but do no help to completelly avoid it.
|
| Is anyone know what I have to do to compile the standalone program with
| octave libs?
| What additon libs I have to use for this?

A couple of quick fixes are:

  * Use the version of libkpathsea that is distributed with Octave.

  * Add a dummy kpse_clear_dir_cache function to your program (if it
    will never be called, you are safe).

  * Link with the static libs (when linking against shared libraries,
    some systems require all referenced functions to be available,
    even if you are not using any of them).

  * Fix the Octave libraries to be more independent of these other
    libraries (or, pay someone to do this for you, or wait (perhaps
    for a very long time) for someone else to do it for free).

This question has been asked several times in the last year.
Would some energetic person be interested in taking over active
maintenance of the FAQ?

Thanks,

jwe