Re: User-defined Data Types

From: en254
Subject: Re: User-defined Data Types
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> In the Octave manual, there is an almost empty section called "User-defined
> Data Types" that points to the source files under src/.  Since there is a
> huge amount of interrelated files there, it is difficult to just grasp what
> is essential for the creation of a new user-defined data type.  Hence my
> question: did someone come up with a simple example of user-defined data
> type creation so that it is possible to define it in a .oct file and use it
> after loading from the command line?

the file examples/make_int.cc is a very good template. It does
not depend on any other files.

   address@hidden examples]# mkoctfile-2.1.19 make_int.cc
   address@hidden examples]# octave-2.1.19
   octave-2.1.19:1> a=make_int(2);
   installing integer type at type-id = 18
   octave-2.1.19:2> whos

   *** local user variables:

   prot  type                       rows   cols  name
   ====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
    rwd  integer                       1      1  a

   error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 3, column 2
   octave-2.1.19:3> a+make_int(4)
   installing integer type at type-id = 18
   ans =

   6

If you need a more complex/complete example of user defined types
(for 2.1.x versions) take a look at my octave sparse functions
at:

As you mention, user defined types are not well documented, but,
in my opinion they are well designed, and, once you understand
the class structure, a pleasure to use.

Andy Adler,                               address@hidden