octave-1.0.11 Comments and Queries

From: Ted Harding
Subject: octave-1.0.11 Comments and Queries
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 23:36:20 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I just pulled the octave-2.0.11 sources and compiled it (S.u.S.E.-5.1 Linux
with gcc 2.7.2.1, libm.sa.5.0.9)

A: Seems fine now but I had the following:

1. Configure with

   ./configure --with-f2c --enable-shared --enable-dld --enable-lite-kernel

and the compilation seemed to succeed, but when octave was run several
functions were undefined: they seem to be some of the functions represented by
.oct files in /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.0.11/oct/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1.

2. Configure with

   ./configure --with-f2c --enable-shared --enable-dld

and all was well. Is there a straightforward suggestion as to why this may have
occurred?

B: It seems gammai(a,x) is the wrong way round, in that it gives the result you
would expect if x were the exponent and a were the integration limit. It turns
out, looking at the m-file which calls gammainc as gammainc(x,a), and testing
gammainc, that it is gammainc which is the wrong way round (i.e. gammainc(x,a)
gives the result you would expect if x were the exponent and a the limit).

Is this a bug or is it intentional? (I've changed the gammai m-file which is
easy, but it might be worth re-compiling the gammainc .oct file since that's
where the trouble really is).

C: The example function "oregonator" is intriguing -- nearly-periodic sudden
bursts with long quiescent intervals! Is there some background to the invention
of this function?

Apart from (A) and (B), very happy with 2.0.11 -- usual brilliant job!

Thanks,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 05-Apr-98                                       Time: 23:36:20