Re: Announce: New graphics package, PLplot_octave

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: Announce: New graphics package, PLplot_octave
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 03:10:38 +0100 (WET DST)

> Re the following:
> Subject: Announce: New graphics package, PLplot_octave
> I have obtained this, and  plplot as described in the INSTALL info.
>
> I have followed the plplot instructions and applied the patch as specified.

Didn't you have a problem with the patch? it has a wrong line, line 12 must
be deleted!

> There is a problem: "make" on plplot bombs out unable to find "./pltclgen"
> which in fact is in .../bindings/tcl/ (I think "make" is in .../tmp at this
> point).

My fault... (asctually plplot developpers). Edit `pltclgen' and provide
a path to your perl. If you are using Linux, it must be at
/usr/bin/perl.

A include a FGA (frequently given anwsers) about plplot_octave:

1-There is a small problem in the patch file included in plplot_octave
(plplot-961023-980401.patch):

edit it end delete line 12, the one that says
        \ No newline at end of file

after that, the patch file must look like this:

      Tcl_PkgProvide(interp, "Matrix", "0.1");
      return TCL_OK;
! }
--- 8,17 ----
      Tcl_CreateCommand(interp, "matrix",   Tcl_MatrixCmd,
              (ClientData) NULL, (void (*)(ClientData)) NULL);

2-Make shure that you have octave-2.0.11, tcl7.6, tk4.2 and perl.
Make shure that you have a correctly installed octave, configured with
--enable-shared and --enable-dl. The command

ldd /usr/local/bin/octave-2.0.11

should report octave dynamic libs, liboctave.so, libcruft.so and
liboctinterp.so
somewhere in /usr/local/lib/octave-2.0.11/

3-if your perl is not in /usr/local/lib, yyou sould edit `pltclgen'
from the plplot distribution and change the first line accordingly.

4-If you system don't have poll(), search for its ocurrence in x17c.c of
the plplot distribution and comment them (2 occurrences)

5-If you have problems, please try first to see if you can sucessefully
compile and run the oregonator.cc and hello.cc files in the examples
directory of the octave distribution. If they dont run, fix first
octave (configure with above options and reinstall).

6-If you have a problem with the Tk demos in the plplot distribution,
probably your Xserver is not secure. Use `xauth' or rebuild tk without
security. But you don't need Tk (although usefull); the default is to
use the Xwindows driver.

7-The demos in the plplot_octave distribution should be run in the
extracted directory from plplot_octave-0.3.tar.gz, i.e., `plplot', as
there are needed script files in directories misc, demos and PLplot. To
run the plplot_octave demos, you must provide a LOADPATH that start at
`plplot'; being there, I find LOADPATH =[".//:" LOADPATH] a simple way
of doing it after invoquing Octave.

8-I have tested plplot_octave in SCO-3.2v5.0.4 and Debian Linux, all
compiled with egcs

Thanks
Joao