help-nano

Re: Unexpected behaviour of Backspace when binding ^H

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Unexpected behaviour of Backspace when binding ^H
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 20:05:58 +0100

Hello Ciprian,

[Please send answers only to the list.]

Op 09-03-2020 om 17:09 schreef Ciprian Tomoiaga:
> I am binding ^H to `replace all`. This has the unexpected result that pressing
> Backspace(1) enters the replace menu. I know that on some terminals Backspace
> generates ^H, but if I use the shortcut for `Verbatim Input` and press
> Backspace,
> I get `^?`.

Ah!  Then in src/global.c you will want to search for APPLE,
and then delete the four lines of that #ifdef.

Does iTerm2 always produce ^? for Backspace?  Or is that a
setting that you chose?  Or did it change recently for both
iTerm2 and Terminal?

> (1) Since I switched to MacOS, Backspace and Delete have gotten a bit blurry
> in
> my mind. By Backspace I mean "kill to the left", a simple press on the
> poorly-named "delete" button.
> (2) as above. By Delete I mean "kill to the right", pressing `Fn+delete`.

(Correct.  Backspace kills toward the left, and Delete kills the
character at the cursor and pulls the line in from the right.)

Benno