help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files

From: Fergus Daly
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:21:48 +0000

Hello, Chris -

>> I'm curious what your use case is here.

Thank you very much indeed for asking.
I frequently edit DOS text files (other people's preference, or their default)
which 9 times out of 10 are intended either as programming scripts or as data
sources for statistics applications. The ones I favour work on Linux platforms
and, with very little re-compiling, on Cygwin under Windows. The stats
applications break if the scripts or source-files are other than
Unix-terminated. (You might argue that this is a local failing of the
applications, but there we are.) So (i) I need to <SAVE and EXIT> as Unix
files; and (ii) there is something rather nice and sparse about text files
formatted in this way.
So - as it happens - it suited me for the default mode to be "if not Unix,
convert to Unix" with -D (DOS) and -M (Mac) and -N (leave unchanged) as the
obvious switches.
Though I would be just as happy for the default to be "leave unchanged" with
switches -D, -M, -U which convention would entail the most obvious logic.

>> We still do allow the conversion, it just takes an extra step when saving.

This had passed me by, I did not notice this. That's great for individual
files, exactly as above. For batch operations I would use dos2unix anyway,
whatever the architecture of nano.
This facility ("extra step when saving") is fine, but I have to say my
preference would still be to issue the instruction from the prompt at the
command line at the start of activity (nano followed by nothing, -D, -M, -U)
rather than from within the application at the end of activity when saving, for
the simple reason that I could then define an alias such as
alias nano = 'nano -U '
and the preferred usage would be achieved, and invisible! As it happens I
already use
alias nano= 'nano -xS '

Anyway, you were kind enough to ask me my typical use environment, and that's
it!

Best wishes,

Fergus