help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files

From: Fergus Daly
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:10:37 +0000

>>> If I use nano -N on a DOS file, then I see at the end of each and every
>>> line a ^M.  Don't you see this?
>>  Yes I do.
>   But when using nano without you don't see thos ^M, right? So how come you
> said  plain nano and nano -N behave the same?

I meant they behave the same in the sense that neither changes format on <SAVE
and EXIT>.
They behave differently in that one displays the ^M on screen, the other does
not.

>   I still don't like to burden nano with format conversions.

That's absolutely fine!
Actually I greatly prefer the behaviours (both standard and with formatting
options) of nano 1.3.4 and will carry on using it.
But of course more modern versions must reflect the originators preferences and
priorities.
At least as a result of this interesting correspondence I know that 2.4.0 does
not do format conversions; and that this behaviour is intentional rather than
accidental.
Thank you again for this engagement with the issue and your very rapid and very
clear responses.
Fergus