Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?

From: Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
Subject: Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:41:22 -0700

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:43:57 -0700
From: "Kaz Kylheku (gmake)" <729-670-0061@kylheku.com>
There is no documented requirement anywhere about what is in this
library, or what will be in it in the next version of Windows, or
whether it will exist at all, under what name, with what calling
conventions, etc.

That is simply incorrect.  The CRT functions are fully documented, and
Microsoft at some time even published the source code of MSVCRT.DLL (I
still have it on my machine) as part of their SDK, so this stuff is
well documented, no secret to anyone who wants to know.

I don't have anything to add or subtract, just these remarks.

Yes, the above may have been the situation a quarter century ago,
when the library in the Windows system folder was actually a copy of
some then-current MSVC run time.

(Raymond Chen's insider article, which I already cited, explains
the whole history and the status quo. The library used in Windows
became a separately maintained fork, which was turned into a system
component which is not documented (a claim explicitly made in the
article, using that wording, pretty much!) But here, I entirely
repeat myself.)

Without a question, ancient sources and documentation from ancient
versions of the SDK will likely closely match what is in the MSVCRT.DLL
binary of old versions of Windows from around the same time.

Ha-ha, very funny.  I guess there's then a lot of us "unprofessional"
types that do that.  Look around for native Windows ports of GNU
software, and you will find that they all were compiled by MinGW and
link against MSVCRT.DLL.  Starting with Git for Windows, for example.

Yikes! I installed this on a Windows box just to take a look. Even
though Git for Windows is now based on the newer MinGW-W64, I see with
the help of the Dependency Walker utility that, indeed, this newer
incarnation of MinGW is still linking the executables to
C:\Windows\System32\MSVCRT.DLL.

I don't rely on this stuff myself, phew!

Its existence isn't so much a problem as, I suspect, that
the majority of the user base is not informed about the issue.