Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?

From: Jon Forrest
Subject: Re: Gmake UTF-8 Support?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:11:28 -0700

Thanks everyone for a very enlightening discussion.

I realize that I wasn't thinking clearly about what it
means to support UTF-8. I had seen lots of char pointers
in the gmake source code so I was concerned about how
multibyte characters would be handled. As Kaz pointed out,
strlen(x) won't return the number of multibyte characters
but, in retrospect, I don't think that matters. As long as
lexical separator characters are single byte characters gmake
need not care about multibyte characters.

As Eli pointed out, OS support of UTF-8 filenames is another
issue.

Jon