Diagramming a makefile?

From: Rakesh Sharma
Subject: Diagramming a makefile?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:44:58 -0700

Hello GNU makers,

Is there any tool/utility which can diagram the DAG of the rules/targets by
going thru the makefile? And I don't mean this in a generic way, that all sorts
of complex $(eval-ed) rules
need to be diagrammed.

What I feel is that if we have a picture of the DAG of a makefile, then we can
better understand the behavior of make.  And vice versa too, we can start off
writing a makefile by drawing the DAG first & then convert that into a makefile
(the rules portion).

Considering that make is nearing 4 decades, it's hard to believe that such
utilities are not already available.

Thanks,
Rakesh