Inconsistent use of vpath

From: normvcr
Subject: Inconsistent use of vpath
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 14:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

I have come across a puzzling problem while building with make.

make all

While building the targets, make eventually comes to building
foo.o, but quits with an error, that it cannot find foo.cpp .

However, when I now do, again, at the OS prompt:

make all

make picks up where it left off, and  succeeds; the echo of the command
shows that make
is correctly using  .../src/foo.cpp  through the vpath directives.

My question is, why did make not find .../src/foo.cpp  in the course
of the original invokation of make?