simple help for makefile copy foo.pl to bin/foo only after foo.pl has be

From: Billy Patton
Subject: simple help for makefile copy foo.pl to bin/foo only after foo.pl has been touched
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:57:37 -0500

I'm trying to get the make file to handle files with suffixes but copy them to a bin directory without the suffix. I can get the copy to work fine but the dependencies don't work. I copies very time. takes less than a second but I'd rather not have it doing it every time.

SCRIPTS := foo
BINDIR := bin

x : $(addprefix ${BIN_DIR}/,$(SCRIPTS))

Here's what I have now
${BIN_DIR}/%.pl : %.pl
 @$(PRINTF) "Copying $< to ${BIN_DIR}/$*\n"
 @$(COPY) $< ${BIN_DIR}/$*
 @$(CHMOD) 777 ${BIN_DIR}/$*

It copies it to the bin directory just fine without the .pl
RCS pulls it out of its directory every time.
So who do I make it work so that it will compare the copy in RCS and not execute?

Also how do I get the command for pulling from RCS to be quiet?

--