Odd issue w/ Make including contents of linker script...

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Odd issue w/ Make including contents of linker script...
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:03:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all.. We started using a linker input script (for use w/ GNU ld) and I
specified that in my Makefile like so :

LINK_SCRIPT_FILE = linker-inputs.txt

That is then appended to the list of objects specified later :

OBJECTs := ... [file list here] ...
OBJECTS +=  $(LINK_SCRIPT_FILE)

However, GNU Make (version 3.81) wants to implicitly read the contents of
the linker-inputs.txt file instead of just holding it and specifying it
for the linker which is what I want.. Is there some way to keep Make from
trying to read the contents of this file?  Interestly enough, if I rename
the text file to be a ".o" file then it works as I want.. Any ideas? Below
is what I see :

make -d all
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Reading makefile `/export/home/rflower/test/foo/Makefile-defs.mak' (search
path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `/export/home/rflower/test/foo/Makefile-ppc.mak' (search
path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `/export/home/rflower/test/foo/Makefile-common.mak'
(search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `/export/home/rflower/test/foo/Makefile-includes.mak'
(search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `Makefile-fragment.mak' (search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `/export/home1/rflower/test/foo/Makefile-targets.mak'
(search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Reading makefile `linker-inputs.txt' (search path) (don't care) (no ~
expansion)...
linker-inputs.txt:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.