Re: Recursive make

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: Recursive make
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:01:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> In simple cases you can do something like this:
>
>     SUBDIRS = (list of subdirectories)
>     TARGETS = all default clobber clean debug
>
>     .PHONY: $(TARGETS) $(SUBDIRS)
>
>     $(TARGETS): $(SUBDIRS)
>
>     $(SUBDIRS):
>             $(MAKE) -C $@ $(MAKECMDGOALS)

my only pedantic contribution to that suggestion is to rename
"TARGETS" to something like "ACTIONS" since, technically, *all* of
those things (including "SUBDIRS") are targets, and the word "ACTIONS"
is a little more self-explanatory.  but that's just me -- obviously,
it makes no functional difference.

rday