newbie question re dependencies

From: Scott
Subject: newbie question re dependencies
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:20:00 -0700

Hi,

I am using make to maintain various files for a website. These are
constructed using various crude tools I have hacked together. I am
having trouble with this portion of the Makefile:

=== quote

byprice.cgi : LOCPTH = /home/swani/web2/dat
byprice.cgi : DOMAIN = /domains/harvestview.com/cgi-bin
byprice.cgi : CHAPTERS = u40.lst u60.lst u100.lst u500.lst
[... more target-specific variables ...]
byprice.cgi: $(BOOKPROG) $(DEFCODE) $(CHAPTERS) $(BOOK)
        $(BOOKPROG) $(BOOK) $(TITLES) "Sorted By Price" $(DEFCODE) $(WEBBASE)
html >byprice.cgi
        echo U $(DOMAIN)/ $(LOCPTH)/byprice.cgi >>$(FTPSCRIPT)

# We only need to reference one of the .lst files, cuz the script builds em
all...
u40.lst:        props
        ./make_prop_list.sh

=== end quote

[0 ~/web2/dat]$ touch props
[0 ~/web2/dat]$ make byprice.cgi
./bld_deps >depend
make: `byprice.cgi' is up to date.
[0 ~/web2/dat]$

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the u40.lst get rebuilt, causing
byprice.cgi to also be rebuilt, when the 'props' file is updated?

(bld_deps is just a perl script which generates a list of all of the
.html files which should be on the page)

Thanks for any help. I'm NOT subscribed, so if you could send me a cc
of any response...

Scott Swanson